When Leila's mother gets sick, lots of things change for her family. But one important thing stays the same: they still have each other, and they know how to find joy and laughter when they need it most! The poetic, uplifting story and hopeful ending are based on the author's own experience battling cancer as the parent of young children.
Key Selling Points:
- SOCIAL-EMOTIONAL LEARNING: Told through a child's point of view, models ways to talk about tough/sensitive topics as a family and support one another through hard times.
- RESILIENCE: Introduces imaginative strategies for dealing with illness as well as other difficult situations.
- ILLUSTRATIONS: Ethereal illustrations by award-winning Vietnamese artist Khoa Le bring the poetic text to life.
- AUTHENTIC: Based on the author's personal experience battling cancer as the parent of young children.
- HOPEFUL: In the hopeful ending, Leila's mom expresses how grateful she is that she has Leila to help her find joy and strength while battling this illness.
- AUTHOR: Author is an actress, producer, writer and activist with 23k Twitter followers and her own Wikipedia page.
- ACTIVITY GUIDE: A free, downloadable guide written by a child psychiatrist offers activity suggestions for helping children manage difficult emotions.